The Lake City Greenway is a multi-use trail in and around the City of Warsaw and the Town of Winona Lake. With three completed portions the Greenway provides access to recreation opportunities at the City-County Athletic Complex and Pike Lake Park.
Beyer Farm Trail: The Beyer Farm Trail consists of a long boardwalk across the wetlands on the south shore of Pike Lake, with an asphalt section at each end. The trail connects Kosciusko Community Hospital complex with Pike Lake Park and Beach with a focus to education and preservation of natural wetlands.
Chinworth Bridge Trail: The Chinworth Bridge Trail begins at the trailhead park on Old US 30 crossing over the historic Chinworth Bridge on the Tippecanoe River and continues to Zimmer Road. This portion of trail was the initial idea for the trail system as it connects the City County Athletic Complex (CCAC) to the City of Warsaw. The Chinworth Bridge Trailhead also has a canoe launch and picnic shelter. There are two historic bridges along this section of trail:
The Chinworth Bridge – During the early 1800’s, the Tippecanoe River was forded at approximately the same area that the Chinworth Bridge now stands. A wooden bridge was built and used until its demise in 1897. The bridge was replaced by the current structure, which was constructed by the Bellefontaine Bridge and Iron Company of Ohio. The Chinworth Bridge is a single-span, 140-foot iron bridge, which is the last remaining Pratt through truss bridge in the county. In 1924, US Highway 30 bypassed the bridge and the adjacent land was established as the Tippecanoe Rest Park. The bridge was closed to vehicular traffic in 1975. Soon after the bridge and the park were leased by the Kosciusko County Commissioners to the Kosciusko County Historical Society. In 1997, the Chinworth Bridge was listed in the National Register of Historic Places just prior to its 100th birthday.
The Groninger Bridge – The Groninger Bridge The bridge was constructed by the Elkhart Bridge & Iron Company in approximately 1915. Originally located somewhere in Kosciusko County and purchased from the county at auction in the late 1950 s or early 1960 s. The dilapidated bridge was rehabilitated and re-erected over the Maish Ditch in 2004.
Krebs Trailhead Park – This trailhead park at 214 S. McKinley Street, Warsaw features restrooms, a drinking fountain, bicycle parking, a bicycle repair station provided by Warsaw Rotary, benches, a picnic shelter, trail information displays and vehicle parking. Krebs Trailhead Park is on an abandoned corridor of the Winona Interurban Railway. In 1903 the first bricks were laid and the Winona Interurban trolley car system was completed in Warsaw. These bicycle and pedestrian facilities run south along McKinley Street and will connect to Winona Lake’s Heritage Trail.
Heritage Trail of Winona Lake: The Heritage Trail is 1.8 miles and begins at Winona Avenue, continuing through downtown Winona Lake, along Canal Street to Roy Street and incorporates the area of the Old Chicago Boys Club.